Friday, February 4, 2011

POLENTA


One of my favorite comfort foods of all time is polenta.  Especially on a cold winter day!  Last night I was feeling the need for some major comfort so I did some digging in my pantry.  Some people prefer to buy the fancy, more expensive packets at the grocery store labelled "Polenta" but really, all polenta is is cornmeal.  I prefer a medium ground cornmeal to the fine but you can use any cornmeal.  The key is to cook it long and slow.


I also like to use chicken broth instead of water and always, always add a little butter and some parmigiano reggiano (freshly grated please) at the end. How do you like to make your polenta?

As luck would have it I had some brasato left over from Wednesday nights dinner so polenta was the natural accompaniment!  Yum.  I will post my recipe for Brasato al Barolo on another day but for now please see the Polenta recipe below.  Enjoy!
 

POLENTA 


Bring 1/2 litre of water to a boil.  Slowly add 125 grams of cornmeal stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook until the polenta is thickened (approx. 20 min.). You will need to stir frequently to avoid the polenta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.  When the polenta has thickened to the right consistency add 2 tablespoons of butter and 125 - 250grams of freshly grated parmigiano reggiano. Enjoy immediately!



No comments: