Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Best Kale Salad Ever!

I know. I know what you're saying.  Kale can be good?  Yes it can! In truth I've never been a kale fan so I was truly surprised when I tried this salad a few years ago & loved it!  Now I'm addicted to it!  It doesn't hurt that it's so easy to make & sooo good for you!  I've been making this basic recipe for a couple of years now but I cannot lie. The toasted breadcrumbs are a new addition that I recently came upon on this fabulous food blog (I like to give credit where credit is due!).  It's a good addition and I think I'll keep it! I haven't listed any quantities in the recipe as you can customize the quantity of the ingredients to suit your tastes.
 

Kale Salad

Kale (chopped thinly)
Bacon or Pancetta (sliced)
Red onion (sliced very finely)
Panko Breadcrumbs
Garlic (chopped finely)
Walnut (chopped)
Parmesan Cheese (grated)

Dressing;
Olive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar 

Fry the bacon & set aside.  Then fry the Panko breadcrumbs & chopped garlic in a little olive oil until slightly browned & set aside. 

Wash the kale then cut away the thick spines on the leaves. Cut the kale into thin ribbons & put in a serving bowl. Add the red onion, walnuts & bacon and toss with the olive oil/balsamic dressing. Just before serving sprinkle the breadcrumbs and cheese on top. Occassionally I add dried cranberries for a little bit of sweetness.  The salad makes a wonderful accompaniment to any meal or even a meal in itself on those days you just want a lighter lunch or dinner.


 What's your favorite way to serve kale?

Cheers!
Karen

No comments: